You will need
- 500g Diced beef
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed or ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes or hot pepper sauce
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml good, hot beef stock
- Natural yogurt, to garnish
- Small handful freshly chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large heat/flameproof casserole dish with a lid and cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and spices together for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly coloured. Add the remaining ingredients except the yogurt and coriander.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 2-2½ hours on the hob or in a preheated oven at 180°C/160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4 until the beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Season if required and then allow to stand for 30 mins for flavours to mellow.
- Finish with the yogurt and coriander and serve the curry with either rice or couscous and naan bread or poppadom’s with a selection on chutneys.